Urban Empire I.E. Street Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federal grant expands gang program

5 posters

Go down

Federal grant expands gang program Empty Federal grant expands gang program

Post  Ty Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:50 am

GREAT anti-gang program will be widened

Andrew Edwards, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 04/22/2008 11:59:02 PM PDT

SAN BERNARDINO - A new agreement between the county and city is set to expand an anti-gang education program here.
County supervisors approved the two-year, $270,000 deal Tuesday. The money is slated for the Gang Resistance Education and Training Curriculum, also called the GREAT program.

The agreement will be financed by a U.S. Department of Justice grant won by the city.

GREAT puts uniformed probation officers in elementary and middle schools to warn about the dangers of crime and build a rapport between students and law enforcement.

"Our philosophy is that we go into a school and we saturate the fifth grade," said Kim Eppsa supervising probation officer.

The program, designed for students in the fifth through seventh grades, as been used in San Bernardino County schools since 2005.

Epps said probation officers have delivered lessons to many schools in the San Bernardino City Unified, Colton Joint Unified, Redlands Unified and Victor Valley school districts.

Glenn Baude, who directs San Bernardino's Operation Phoenix program, said officials originally planned to use the grant funding to enhance the GREAT program in schools in Operation Phoenix zones.

However, he said Tuesday the program could be expanded even further.

"We think we can do it citywide," he said.

Operation Phoenix was initiated in 2006 in a 20-block area northeast of downtown. Last year, the City Council approved plans to expand that area and move forward with new Operation Phoenix zones on the Westside and the eastern part of the city.

Baude also said the program is set to be further expanded in San Bernardino by sending a police officer to work alongside a probation officer in classrooms.

Linda Bardere, San Bernardino City Unified spokeswoman, said the program is in place at Arrowview and Martin Luther King Jr. middle schools. She also named 11 elementary campuses served by the program.

In 2004, the Justice Department announced results of a five-year survey that concluded the GREAT program had been modestly successful.

Researchers found that students who participated in the program tended to develop positive impressions of police officers and better knowledge of the pitfalls of gang membership. However, the study did not link the program to actual reductions in gang affiliation.

Deputy Chief Probation Officer Rick Arden said GREAT is gradually replacing the well-known DARE program as a tool for teaching young students to avoid crime.

Arden said some local students who have participated in the program have reached out to officers who visited classrooms.

So this program has by the Justice Departments admission proven to be modestly successful at best yet San Bernardino is taking this opportunity to siphon federal grant money into Operation Phoenix. Which in turn pays out to the same city run gang intervention programs which have been a dismal failure over the years. Someone tell me why we continue to fund Los Padrinos (at more than half a million per year) and why we have included Victory Outreach into these gang suppression programs when they have established ties to criminal operations? Why is Mayor Morris violating the public trust by opening the public cofers for exploitation by a elite few at the expense of the entire city? This is the same criminal behavior we've witnessed from city leadership for decades. Its time to change... Vote Ty in the next city election.

Ty
Soldier

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Federal grant expands gang program Empty Re: Federal grant expands gang program

Post  Grandhustle_909 Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:20 pm

Real shit though. You got my vote big Ty. Are some of these Victory Outreach programs actually involved in criminal activity?

Grandhustle_909
Associate

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Grandhustle_909 wrote:Real shit though. You got my vote big Ty. Are some of these Victory Outreach programs actually involved in criminal activity?

Victory Outreach has been in San Bernardino for as long as I can remember, I remember when they was located on 5th & Mt.vernon on the Westside. They used to go to the Heights and all over and preach the word. I got love for them, met a couple cool cats over there, and from what I have experienced they was straight.
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Number of posts : 7350
Registration date : 2008-01-19

https://iestreetlife.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Federal grant expands gang program Empty Victory Outreach

Post  Ty Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:40 am

Come on man, you ever attended one of them VO meetings? You got every shot caller in the area up in there. VO has a long history of questionable activity. There have been more than a few very high ranking Mexican Mafia members who have very publicly left the gang life and received a clean slate after joining Victory Outreach. I'm not talking about your fringe players doing favors while they finish a short bid but serious killer type fools with decades in the system behind them. A few of the notorious names which have gotten involved either through the San Bernardino or Pomona chapters include Robert Salas, Art Blajos and Ernie Roybal. Blajos wrote a book called Blood in Blood out which VO circulates very circumspectly. The book was banned by the Department of Corrections because they thought it contained coded messages. I don't know if that is true but I know religion is the perfect cover for criminal activity plus it entitles your organization to claim a tax exempt status. Imagine that, you can launder your dope proceeds and evade paying taxes on it legally. If your in San Bernardino county, you can even get cut in on a federally funded program.

Ty
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:10 am

Ty wrote:Come on man, you ever attended one of them VO meetings? You got every shot caller in the area up in there. VO has a long history of questionable activity. There have been more than a few very high ranking Mexican Mafia members who have very publicly left the gang life and received a clean slate after joining Victory Outreach. I'm not talking about your fringe players doing favors while they finish a short bid but serious killer type fools with decades in the system behind them. A few of the notorious names which have gotten involved either through the San Bernardino or Pomona chapters include Robert Salas, Art Blajos and Ernie Roybal. Blajos wrote a book called Blood in Blood out which VO circulates very circumspectly. The book was banned by the Department of Corrections because they thought it contained coded messages. I don't know if that is true but I know religion is the perfect cover for criminal activity plus it entitles your organization to claim a tax exempt status. Imagine that, you can launder your dope proceeds and evade paying taxes on it legally. If your in San Bernardino county, you can even get cut in on a federally funded program.

I noticed that myself, I read that book by Blajos. And I still hear of drop out's joining Victory Outreach.

~OSO~
Made Member

Number of posts : 547

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:27 pm

Ty wrote:Come on man, you ever attended one of them VO meetings? You got every shot caller in the area up in there. VO has a long history of questionable activity. There have been more than a few very high ranking Mexican Mafia members who have very publicly left the gang life and received a clean slate after joining Victory Outreach. I'm not talking about your fringe players doing favors while they finish a short bid but serious killer type fools with decades in the system behind them. A few of the notorious names which have gotten involved either through the San Bernardino or Pomona chapters include Robert Salas, Art Blajos and Ernie Roybal. Blajos wrote a book called Blood in Blood out which VO circulates very circumspectly. The book was banned by the Department of Corrections because they thought it contained coded messages. I don't know if that is true but I know religion is the perfect cover for criminal activity plus it entitles your organization to claim a tax exempt status. Imagine that, you can launder your dope proceeds and evade paying taxes on it legally. If your in San Bernardino county, you can even get cut in on a federally funded program.

Of course I've attented a service more than a few times in my time. And I've personally met just about everyone of the folks who run it as well. Big Tiny, Ramone, Rick, Danny Boy and a few others, dudes from 7th st, Sur Crazy Ones, and Counts .Art Blajos aint even from San Bernardino he just comes around during certain events that take place over there. Trust me I know what your talking about, I've know what that dude Art was about, before he stepped into the church, but I'm not going into all of that or refering to that. The actual people that attend the church are just your regular everyday folks. Its a few sketchy dudes in there I'll admit, but to say that the whole damn church is involved in criminal activity is an exaggeration.

Last edited by NYTE RYDA on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:39 pm

I noticed that myself, I read that book by Blajos. And I still hear of drop out's joining Victory Outreach.[/quote]

Thats the thing they aim for, Thats what there ministry is about, they want the gangster, the thug, the basehead, its an outreach church they aint going to no nice city, they go to the gutter and go where the other churches that so call themselves "outreaches" is scared of going. In my opinion that leads alot of people to believe the church is sheisty, Shady and no good. I can't hate on VO, aside from whatever they've done in the past on the inside of things I could care less, they've helped a brotha get on his toes more than a few times to gain my respect.
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Back to top Go down

Federal grant expands gang program Empty VO

Post  Ty Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:33 pm

It's not about the average person in attendance. I'm talking about the circle that has the influence in the criminal world that goes into the church and in many cases, becomes a focal point for recruitment of others off the street or who draw the media to the church. They can then say hey man I've changed my life and you don't have to look at me cause I'm not who I used to be. That's fine but in alot of cases they are still leading the meetings in the parks and in Pomona you find alot of 12th streeters hanging outside VO without ever setting foot inside the church. Yet you have the shot callers going on staff and receiving a check and therefore help with the parole situation. Of course I have a problem with any pastor who's cell phone rings to the song "Ridin dirty" when it goes to message but that's just me.

Ty
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Drop Out Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:43 pm

THEY HAD SOME VATOS WALKING AROUND SUNKIST A COUPLE DAYS AGO TALKING TO THE YOUNGSTERS ABOUT CHANGING THERE LIFE, I EVEN WENT TO AN OUTREACH SPOT HERE IN SUR ONTA BUT IT WASSNT FOR ME ONLY THING THAT REALLY CHANGED MY LIFE AROUND WAS WHEN MY BABY GIRL WAS BORN...I CANT SPEEK FOR THE HOMIES BUT I DO KNOW SOME REAL ASS HARDCORE BLACK ANGELS GOING IN TO THE PROGRAM AND STAYING STRAIGHT SO THERE MAY BE SOME KURUPT ASS VATOS IN THERE BUT NOT ALL ARE.

Drop Out
Protective Custody
Protective Custody

Number of posts : 5006
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:54 pm

From what I remember, Blajos is from a varrio out in L.A. As for Victory Outreach, I have no problem with their programs, I have no experience with that church to give an opinion. But from what Ive heard from famiy (ex gangmembers) whom have been to Victory Outreach, my family dislikes what goes on there. My ex and her husband raised my children in the Pomona Victory Outreach church and all of them seem to be doing just fine, so whatever works I'm all for it.

~OSO~
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:58 pm

I went to the Pomona Victory Outreach one time after driving through the area just to check it out. The pastors wife is from a Colton varrio and I don't know where the dude is from, but I thought the Pomona VO was barley getting started? (getting on their feet) The place was small and off of Garey in Downtown, didn't see to many ex gang members attenteding either.

Last edited by NYTE RYDA on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:01 pm

OVS13xBELMONT*LOCOZ wrote:THEY HAD SOME VATOS WALKING AROUND SUNKIST A COUPLE DAYS AGO TALKING TO THE YOUNGSTERS ABOUT CHANGING THERE LIFE, I EVEN WENT TO AN OUTREACH SPOT HERE IN SUR ONTA BUT IT WASSNT FOR ME ONLY THING THAT REALLY CHANGED MY LIFE AROUND WAS WHEN MY BABY GIRL WAS BORN...I CANT SPEEK FOR THE HOMIES BUT I DO KNOW SOME REAL ASS HARDCORE BLACK ANGELS GOING IN TO THE PROGRAM AND STAYING STRAIGHT SO THERE MAY BE SOME KURUPT ASS VATOS IN THERE BUT NOT ALL ARE.

I know a homeboy from OVS thats in the VO of SB, and he said that his homies was on his ass about trying to change his ways with VO. Most fools usually respect something like that when its genuine.
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:06 pm

Your right, south of Mission on Garey. Victory Outreach has been in Pomona for years. They have those plays (You'll see those cards/flyers posted everywhere) and car washes, up on Garey and La verne st.

~OSO~
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Drop Out Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:12 pm

NYTE RYDA wrote:
OVS13xBELMONT*LOCOZ wrote:THEY HAD SOME VATOS WALKING AROUND SUNKIST A COUPLE DAYS AGO TALKING TO THE YOUNGSTERS ABOUT CHANGING THERE LIFE, I EVEN WENT TO AN OUTREACH SPOT HERE IN SUR ONTA BUT IT WASSNT FOR ME ONLY THING THAT REALLY CHANGED MY LIFE AROUND WAS WHEN MY BABY GIRL WAS BORN...I CANT SPEEK FOR THE HOMIES BUT I DO KNOW SOME REAL ASS HARDCORE BLACK ANGELS GOING IN TO THE PROGRAM AND STAYING STRAIGHT SO THERE MAY BE SOME KURUPT ASS VATOS IN THERE BUT NOT ALL ARE.

I know a homeboy from OVS thats in the VO of SB, and he said that his homies was on his ass about trying to change his ways with VO. Most fools usually respect something like that when its genuine.

ITS BLOOD IN,BLOOD OUT BUT FOR THE MOST PART VATOS UNDERSTAND, YOU FIND GOD,GET A FAMILY,TRY AN LIVE THE "NORMAL" LIFE, BUT THERE WILL ALWAYS BE FOOLS HATING ON YOU EVERYBODY KNOWS TURST NO ONE BUT YOURSELF.

Drop Out
Protective Custody
Protective Custody

Number of posts : 5006
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:20 pm

~OSO~ wrote:Your right, south of Mission on Garey. Victory Outreach has been in Pomona for years. They have those plays (You'll see those cards/flyers posted everywhere) and car washes, up on Garey and La verne st.

Yeah it was maybe 2 three years ago I was invited to catch one of them plays they held in Pomona at the Civic center, they had a cool little Lowrider show case before everything started in the parking lot. Like I said the church is cool to me different from others, but I know what yall mean about some of the stuff that goes on behind the walls.
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Yeah they have those Play's and car show's a lot of stuff to keep the kid's occupied. When my kid's were little they use to act in some of those play's.

~OSO~
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down