Urban Empire I.E. Street Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Straight Outta Compton

4 posters

Go down

Straight Outta Compton Empty Straight Outta Compton

Post  American Zombie Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:01 pm

I been wanting to write my thoughts on this movie somewhere so here's my take for this dead ass forum. Maybe it'll be read eventually.

First I'll say that I consider myself of a fan of NWA and listened to their stuff a lot as a teen and already knew the entire story.

There wasn't much there that I didn't know as far as the factual stuff and the things that had been said in interviews thought out the years. I've always been more of an EazY E fan so I knew a whole lot more about his side of things than anyone else from the group. Even though Cube was a far more talented rapper artist, I just found myself more drawn to Eazy E for whatever reason.

Lots of small things were added for entertainment value and to paint a picture of what life was like then.

I think Ice Cube's son and character was done very well. They showed him start off as a regular high school kid that was into rap and writing lyrics that was just observing his environment.

Same for Dre, thought that was done fairly well. Maybe at some points made him seem a little more hard than he is in real life. Like him going to jail for punching someone in the face. I read that the real reason Eazy E bailed him out of jail was for all his traffic violations, not from punching anybody.

Yella and Ren's character I thought portrayed them well too although they didn't play a big role in the movie. Kind of sad how Ren is always forgotten about even though he helped write so many songs and never left the group unlike Dre and Cube.

I wasn't too impressed with Eazy's character. I get that Eazy was unique and it would be hard to find a dude that looks like him but this dude didn't really look or sound like him, at least not to me. He sort of dressed like him but overall something was off. I know Dre and Cube thought it was super accurate and they knew him personally so what can I say. Just my take.

I thought they tried too hard to play up the gang element as it relates to the NWA members and others involved.

Perfectly appropriate to show how the gang lifestyle at that time and place had influence on the group but it seemed like they made Ren and Eazy out to be these 100% Crips. I know many websites say they were Kelly Park Crips but the more you dig on that, it becomes harder to confirm.

DJ Yella has said nobody in the group was an actual gang member. Except maybe Eazy E when he was young but that was a maybe.

Ren himself says they both weren't gang members.

It's well known Eazy hung out at the park and also got into selling dope and made a decent amount of money when his cousin was killed and he took over his business of slanging. So no doubt Eazy was street dude that knew everyone around his hood but all the ones that knew him, remembered him as a dude trying to find ways to make money and do better in life, not so much as a hardcore crip.

Overall the quality of the movie was good, just a few things to nitpick.

Shows Suge Knight and some gangbangers jump Eazy and beat the shit out of him and saying "Piru"...

Don't know why they needed to put that.. No evidence exists that this ever happened.
In real life, Eazy was set up and according to him Suge threatened to kill his mother and Jerry Heller if he didn't sign off Dre and them from Ruthless records. Nobody got beat down like that.

Last complaint was how they made Eazy look sad and desperate towards the last few years of his life. Like he was depressed and going broke without Dr Dre and Ice Cube.
Thought that was pretty fucked up considering his label was earning millions during those years with his own solo projects and all the different acts he was producing.
Eazy was good at recognizing talent and they didn't show that in the movie.

Dre and Ice Cube were able to make themselves look as good as possible but it was to be expected since they're still around and very successful. But I expected it to be worse.
shootin headslam Shooter facepalm
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Number of posts : 6128
Registration date : 2008-01-19

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard62.html

Back to top Go down

Straight Outta Compton Empty Re: Straight Outta Compton

Post  CaliKid Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:56 pm

I loved the movie but I did  not like the ending.
CaliKid
CaliKid
Soldier

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfman Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 pm

the thing that jumped out to me right from the start is how they made it out to be as if every gangster out there in compton was hard like that., man, i stayed in compton at my mom's pad in the 90s until she moved out in the 2ks, and yeah compton was craazy, not taking any of that away, but most locos and neegas were not hardcore looking nor hardcore acting or dressing., most were just just getting by without trying to get noticed or just looking to get high, that's it., a lot of hoods, a lot of people claiming, a lot of people trying to act bad and shit, but ruff looking or real speaking, very few., the movie was a movie that made everyone look like all those gangsters out there where that bad ass hard gangsters when they were not., not from my perspective., and then at the end with the ending after the rodney king riots with bloods and cuzz flying their rags together., man., that shit didn't happen till about a month or so later, and it wasnt everyone, it was just some., a lot of caca on that movie., but good entertainment tho., bet you the next movie is gonna be 2pak
wolfman
wolfman
Captain

Number of posts : 1811
Registration date : 2009-12-13

http://13radicalriders14.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:21 pm

American Zombie wrote:I been wanting to write my thoughts on this movie somewhere so here's my take for this dead ass forum. Maybe it'll be read eventually.

First I'll say that I consider myself of a fan of NWA and listened to their stuff a lot as a teen and already knew the entire story.

There wasn't much there that I didn't know as far as the factual stuff and the things that had been said in interviews thought out the years. I've always been more of an EazY E fan so I knew a whole lot more about his side of things than anyone else from the group. Even though Cube was a far more talented rapper artist, I just found myself more drawn to Eazy E for whatever reason.

Lots of small things were added for entertainment value and to paint a picture of what life was like then.

I think Ice Cube's son and character was done very well. They showed him start off as a regular high school kid that was into rap and writing lyrics that was just observing his environment.

Same for Dre, thought that was done fairly well. Maybe at some points made him seem a little more hard than he is in real life. Like him going to jail for punching someone in the face. I read that the real reason Eazy E bailed him out of jail was for all his traffic violations, not from punching anybody.

Yella and Ren's character I thought portrayed them well too although they didn't play a big role in the movie. Kind of sad how Ren is always forgotten about even though he helped write so many songs and never left the group unlike Dre and Cube.

I wasn't too impressed with Eazy's character. I get that Eazy was unique and it would be hard to find a dude that looks like him but this dude didn't really look or sound like him, at least not to me. He sort of dressed like him but overall something was off. I know Dre and Cube thought it was super accurate and they knew him personally so what can I say. Just my take.

I thought they tried too hard to play up the gang element as it relates to the NWA members and others involved.

Perfectly appropriate to show how the gang lifestyle at that time and place had influence on the group but it seemed like they made Ren and Eazy out to be these 100% Crips. I know many websites say they were Kelly Park Crips but the more you dig on that, it becomes harder to confirm.

DJ Yella has said nobody in the group was an actual gang member. Except maybe Eazy E when he was young but that was a maybe.

Ren himself says they both weren't gang members.

It's well known Eazy hung out at the park and also got into selling dope and made a decent amount of money when his cousin was killed and he took over his business of slanging. So no doubt Eazy was street dude that knew everyone around his hood but all the ones that knew him, remembered him as a dude trying to find ways to make money and do better in life, not so much as a hardcore crip.

Overall the quality of the movie was good, just a few things to nitpick.

Shows Suge Knight and some gangbangers jump Eazy and beat the shit out of him and saying "Piru"...

Don't know why they needed to put that.. No evidence exists that this ever happened.
In real life, Eazy was set up and according to him Suge threatened to kill his mother and Jerry Heller if he didn't sign off Dre and them from Ruthless records. Nobody got beat down like that.

Last complaint was how they made Eazy look sad and desperate towards the last few years of his life. Like he was depressed and going broke without Dr Dre and Ice Cube.
Thought that was pretty fucked up considering his label was earning millions during those years with his own solo projects and all the different acts he was producing.
Eazy was good at recognizing talent and they didn't show that in the movie.

Dre and Ice Cube were able to make themselves look as good as possible but it was to be expected since they're still around and very successful. But I expected it to be worse.
shootin headslam Shooter facepalm

I agree with these points. This is pretty much my take on it as well. However, I personally thought the movie was just ok - nothing captivating or particularly special about it. I think it should be mentioned that Dre and Cube obviously had a major role in the way some of these stories played out on the big screen, too. 

A lot of things were added/altered for the sake of the film according to dudes who were around at the time and who personally had dealings with Eazy.

TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Number of posts : 7350

https://iestreetlife.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:37 pm

LOL at Dre making himself out to being the "G'' est of the bunch, an interesting movie that definitely entertained, but factually bullshit with regards to way it depicted key incidents.
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Number of posts : 7350

https://iestreetlife.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:38 pm

I heard they were damanding an Oscar. Lol.
That shit wasn't that great. Good quality but not no masterpiece of art.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Number of posts : 6128

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard62.html

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfman Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:43 pm

Lol, at an oscar., some people   are  barely  watching  it on DVD
wolfman
wolfman