Urban Empire I.E. Street Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gang Boy - True Story of Anglo & Latino Gangs in LA

+4
American Zombie
.02 cents
Drop Out
3l3m3ntal
8 posters

Go down

Gang Boy - True Story of Anglo & Latino Gangs in LA Empty Gang Boy - True Story of Anglo & Latino Gangs in LA

Post  3l3m3ntal Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:12 pm

The Film, "Gang Boy" (1954). Based on a true story on Anglo and Latino gangs in Los Angeles, California in the early 1950s. The film is also an interesting historical record of west-coast 50s gang life. Cinematically, this film is spectacular, great color and the kids in the film all do a great job in acting. It is one of the few movies that honestly depicts the conflict that often occured between minority youth groups and white youth groups. It examines the Latino American experience and the struggle to attain equality in an unjust society.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
3l3m3ntal
3l3m3ntal
Soldier

Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Gang Boy - True Story of Anglo & Latino Gangs in LA Empty Re: Gang Boy - True Story of Anglo & Latino Gangs in LA

Post  Drop Out Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:17 pm

FUNNY THEY SAY "TRUE STORY OF ANGLO AND LATINO GANGS IN LA" WHEN IT WAS BASED IN THE CITY OF POMONA WITH POMONA GANGS.

Drop Out
Protective Custody
Protective Custody

Number of posts : 5006
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Gang Boy - True Story of Anglo & Latino Gangs in LA Empty Re: Gang Boy - True Story of Anglo & Latino Gangs in LA

Post  Drop Out Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:25 pm

I HEAR THEYRE DOING A FILM ON GANGS IN ONTERIO FILMED IN VICTORVILLE WITH VICTORVILLE GANGS.

Drop Out
Protective Custody
Protective Custody

Back to top Go down

Post  3l3m3ntal Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:31 pm

DICER wrote:FUNNY THEY SAY "TRUE STORY OF ANGLO AND LATINO GANGS IN LA" WHEN IT WAS BASED IN THE CITY OF POMONA WITH POMONA GANGS.

Yeah true. It is fascinating film tho given the vintage perspective on gangs and realizing not much has changed besides the fact, today gangs have grown far more violent over time.

Last edited by 3l3m3ntal on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
3l3m3ntal
3l3m3ntal
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  3l3m3ntal Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:32 pm

DICER wrote:I HEAR THEYRE DOING A FILM ON GANGS IN ONTERIO FILMED IN VICTORVILLE WITH VICTORVILLE GANGS.

I'll see if I can dig up more on that. Til now I was unaware of this. Hopefully not a typical Hollywoodized gang story but something grittier and unflinching.
3l3m3ntal
3l3m3ntal
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  Drop Out Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:01 pm

3l3m3ntal wrote:
DICER wrote:I HEAR THEYRE DOING A FILM ON GANGS IN ONTERIO FILMED IN VICTORVILLE WITH VICTORVILLE GANGS.

I'll see if I can dig up more on that. Til now I was unaware of this. Hopefully not a typical Hollywoodized gang story but something grittier and unflinching.

NO I WAS BEING SARCASTIC LOL, KINDA LIKE GANGBOY CALLING THEM LA GANGS BUT BEING FILMED 35 MILES AWAY IN POMONA.

Drop Out
Protective Custody
Protective Custody

Back to top Go down

Post  3l3m3ntal Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:39 pm

DICER wrote:
3l3m3ntal wrote:

NO I WAS BEING SARCASTIC LOL, KINDA LIKE GANGBOY CALLING THEM LA GANGS BUT BEING FILMED 35 MILES AWAY IN POMONA.

LOL!
3l3m3ntal
3l3m3ntal
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  .02 cents Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:33 am

DICER wrote:FUNNY THEY SAY "TRUE STORY OF ANGLO AND LATINO GANGS IN LA" WHEN IT WAS BASED IN THE CITY OF POMONA WITH POMONA GANGS.

We've had this discussion before, and like assholes, everyone has an opinion, but with that said, LA county can easily be considered LA still. Just as if San Bernardino was a huge metropolis, all San Bernardino county could be considered a part of San Bernardino, Ontario included. Just like Rubidoux can be considered Riverside, when it is actually Riverside County and within the Valley of Jurupa.
.02 cents
.02 cents
Made Member

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Drop Out Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:46 am

Raza Soldado wrote:

We've had this discussion before, and like assholes, everyone has an opinion, but with that said, LA county can easily be considered LA still. Just as if San Bernardino was a huge metropolis, all San Bernardino county could be considered a part of San Bernardino, Ontario included. Just like Rubidoux can be considered Riverside, when it is actually Riverside County and within the Valley of Jurupa.

YEAH I CAN SEE THAT BUT I DONT CLAIM SAN BERNARDINO CITY LIKE SAY SOMEONE FROM POMONA MIGHT CLAIM LA CITY...WASNT RUBIDOUX REALLY PART OF RIVA CITY BACK IN THE DAY WHEN IT WAS CALLED WEST RIVERSIDE MUCH LIKE HOW WEST LOS IS CONNECTED TO LA?

Drop Out
Protective Custody
Protective Custody

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:50 am

It all depends on how technical you want to be. locals know the difference but for example, people on the east coast can easily lump all of us in as "LA" if they aren't familiar with so cal.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Number of posts : 6128
Registration date : 2008-01-19

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard62.html

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:28 pm

Raza Soldado wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of opinion at all, unless someones chooses to overlook easily demonstrable facts. How can LA county be considered LA proper ? (Los Angeles city) There's a significant distinction, between city and county respectively. If someone where to say that they are from Fontana but claim they are San Bernardino proper as in a direct reference to the actual city, they would be in error unless they made the distinction between city and county.

Rubidoux is also different since Rubidoux is widely regarded as Riverside city by residents, regardless of its unincorporated state. It's simply viewed as West Riverside. Saying Rubidoux is Jurupa Valley is the equivalent of saying Pomona and it's surrounding cities are part of the Pomona Valley. The terms aren't even recognized enough to make that separation from the rest of the area.

Dicer is correct in pointing out the awkward reference to Los Angeles with regards to Pomona gangs, especially since there was no distinction made. This has been discussed since the birth of this forum and for the most part it seems to have been understood that their is indeed a difference that should be noted when speaking of the county seat, the county and the cities therein.
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Number of posts : 7350

https://iestreetlife.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  .02 cents Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:51 pm

NYTE RYDA wrote:
Raza Soldado wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of opinion at all, unless someones chooses to overlook easily demonstrable facts. How can LA county be considered LA proper ? (Los Angeles city) There's a significant distinction, between city and county respectively. If someone where to say that they are from Fontana but claim they are San Bernardino proper as in a direct reference to the actual city, they would be in error unless they made the distinction between city and county.

Rubidoux is also different since Rubidoux is widely regarded as Riverside city by residents, regardless of its unincorporated state. It's simply viewed as West Riverside. Saying Rubidoux is Jurupa Valley is the equivalent of saying Pomona and it's surrounding cities are part of the Pomona Valley. The terms aren't even recognized enough to make that separation from the rest of the area.

Dicer is correct in pointing out the awkward reference to Los Angeles with regards to Pomona gangs, especially since there was no distinction made. This has been discussed since the birth of this forum and for the most part it seems to have been understood that their is indeed a difference that should be noted when speaking of the county seat, the county and the cities therein.

I would say that Pomona and its surrounding cities can easily be referred to as San Gabriel valley, although Pomona is not in San Gabriel. Further, Rubidoux IS Jurupa valley along with other surrounding areas. Moreover, we can all be considered LA as in Cray's example, if someone from the east coast or anyone outside our was lookin at our location, like in that documentary where joker from sur riva was represented as if he was from LA.

But who is to say I am right, or you or cray or Dicer, like the assholes we are, we all have opinions. My thought is if San Bernardino was a huge metropolis, then all surrounding cities...rialto, fontana, redlands, yucaipa so on and so forth, could all be suburbs of San Bernardino, thus making them easily identifiable as San Bernardino. If this situation were true, than it can be easily concluded that the paradigm of the residents of this location would consider themselves to be from San Bernardino. Just as fools from San Pedro, Harbor Area, different city, culture, political figures, consider themselves to be from LA. This opinion is based on my observation of people from "LA", who do not live anywhere near the actual CITY of Los Angeles.

I doubt you would hear someone from compton, inglewood, south gate montebello, whittier, pomona, pasadena, pacas, santa monica........the list goes on, say they are not from LA.

We in the IE do not share the same type of paradigm because we are more individulistic in city/area/territory however most identifty as IE. Our IE is their LA, just like OC and SD. Where you from? I'm from the IE and Im from A specific city or hood all acceptable answers. Most people from Pomona I know only represent |Pomona, but very easily identify with LA. Same goes with homies from hoods in the IE, they are where they are from, but easily identify with IE as an umbrella term.

Last edited by Raza Soldado on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
.02 cents
.02 cents
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Well Dicer and Ryda are looking at it from the exact technical point of view. So yeah they are in fact right, that obviously Pomona is not LA, only LA county. But, at the same time I also understand that to those outside of California, smaller cities nearby LA(2nd largest city in the nation) can easily be lumped in as "LA" as a generic description. Which is why I won't make a big deal of it. I understand that if I went to New York and said I'm from the city of "Pomona", "San Bernardino", "Fontana",(for example) the average person wouldn''t know where that is. Locals SHOULD atleast know the difference but I don't expect people unfamiliar with SoCal to know all the details.

Last edited by cray on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Number of posts : 6128

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard62.html

Back to top Go down

Post  .02 cents Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:06 pm

cray wrote:Well Dicer and Ryda are looking at it from the exact technical point of view. So yeah they are in fact right, that obviously Pomona is not LA, only LA county. But, at the same time I also understand that to those outside of California, smaller cities nearby LA(2nd largest city in the nation) can easily be lumped in as "LA" as a generic description. Which is why I won't make a big deal of it. I understand that if I went to New York and said I'm from the city of "Pomona", "San Bernardino", "Fontana",(for example) the average person wouldn''t know where that is.

agreed.
.02 cents
.02 cents
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Drop Out Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:48 pm

LOL I DONT KNOW ABOUT GOING TO DEEP INTO IT LIKE ALL THIS, I JUST FOUND IT FUNNY THAT LA GANGS IS IN THE TITLE YET IT HAD POMONA GANGS, WHAT LA GANGS WERE ON VACATION? SO THEY HAD TO TRAVEL 40 MILES, LIKE THE MOVIE "THE MEXICAN" WITH BRAD PITT WHO LAST I KNEW WASNT MEXICAN.

Drop Out
Protective Custody
Protective Custody

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:02 pm

I've read articles from out of state where people refer to Riverside/Ontario as suburbs of Los Angeles. From an outside perspective yeah I can see how they can misunderstand these things.
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunky McThuggerton Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 pm

DICER wrote:LOL I DONT KNOW ABOUT GOING TO DEEP INTO IT LIKE ALL THIS, I JUST FOUND IT FUNNY THAT LA GANGS IS IN THE TITLE YET IT HAD POMONA GANGS, WHAT LA GANGS WERE ON VACATION? SO THEY HAD TO TRAVEL 40 MILES, LIKE THE MOVIE "THE MEXICAN" WITH BRAD PITT WHO LAST I KNEW WASNT MEXICAN.
lol...you do know that movie was about the gun right? the mexican?

Drunky McThuggerton
Boss

Number of posts : 5175
Registration date : 2008-06-25

http://2012data.webs.com/theilluminati.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  W.Devil Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:58 pm

DICER wrote:LOL I DONT KNOW ABOUT GOING TO DEEP INTO IT LIKE ALL THIS, I JUST FOUND IT FUNNY THAT LA GANGS IS IN THE TITLE YET IT HAD POMONA GANGS, WHAT LA GANGS WERE ON VACATION? SO THEY HAD TO TRAVEL 40 MILES, LIKE THE MOVIE "THE MEXICAN" WITH BRAD PITT WHO LAST I KNEW WASNT MEXICAN.

MAYBE HE HIS!!??? HMMMMMM!!!
W.Devil
W.Devil
UnderBoss

Number of posts : 2977
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Well I obviously don't share that particular view with you Raza, but that's your opinion and I respect that. I don't think it's in line to get absorbed with meaningless discussions but being that I'm fond of debating and yall know that, I'll go for it anyways.. LOL.

Raza Soldado wrote:I doubt you would hear someone from compton, inglewood, south gate montebello, whittier, pomona, pasadena, pacas, santa monica........the list goes on, say they are not from LA.

Oh boy. Since you mention this, and much to the contrary, I don't hear much if anyone hollering about being from the city if they are from Compton. From personal experience, I can attest that most will very proudly display that they are from Compton and make the distinction right away. Hell, even folks in Watts tend to make a distinction despite being a district within Los Angeles main land.

Compton and Pasadena have their own city limits, jurisdiction, their own city council. The same applies for most of the places you listed. And while their is residents of those towns that will identify primarily with Los Angeles city because of its proximity, the fact remains that those cities are independent municipalities. Truthfully, you sound a bit confused Raza.

As for places like Pacoima, much of the Valley is within Los Angeles city proper, yet their is definitely cities in that area that are completely independent from the city of Los Angeles. Places such as Burbank, San Fernando, Glendale, Calabasas. However, regions such as the San Gabriel Valley are not part of the Los Angeles city limits. They are there own fully distinguishable region, with several independent cities within that region, of course within in LA county but nonetheless different and seperate.

Regarding the example you gave about San Bernardino and the surrounding cities, even if that scenario was true, it still would not change the undeniable fact that these cities are all separately governed municipalities, therefore not having any relation to SB city regardless of the "popular" perception people have of these areas. In my opinion IE can't possibly be compared to places like SD, OC or LA with the same regards. Your now comparing an entire county (O.C.) and two large cities or counties? (Los Angeles) and SD to one region, that being IE. IE doesn't encompass all of SB/Riverside counties, that's nonsense. Instead I believe a more accurate rendering of the definition is that IE should be viewed as a significantly smaller area than what it's commonly made out to be, with several independent cities under an umbrella name, much like SGV.
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  .02 cents Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:33 pm

I wont disagree with you either Nyte, I will agree to disagree.

All I know is almost everyone that I ask who are from different parts of LA county say they are from LA initially. It is very uncommon for me to not have to ask the follow up question of "What part of LA." I have even had people from ontario and Upland tell me they're from LA. I say oh you're from the IE, me too, and they look a little surprised. All my family from up here say that I'm from LA when referring to where Im from even though on several occasions I let them know Im from Riverside, the Inland Empire, etc...

After a while you get used to it. But I got a bunch of students that I work with who are from down South that always use the blanket term LA as there identifiable geographic location. So for you to have that particular opinion is very understandable, only because of my experience do I think the way I do. It doesn't make any one of us more wrong or right, but it does shed some light on how people can look at the exact same "idea" and have multiple honest conflicting opinions. Anyways, thanks for adding what you did, I think it helps the discusson as a whole that way.
.02 cents
.02 cents
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Drop Out Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:07 pm

DxT wrote:

I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS...THEY COULD HAVE ATLEAST HAD SOME MEXICAN DUDE ROCKIN THE GUN THE WHOLE MOVIE.

Drop Out
Protective Custody
Protective Custody

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunky McThuggerton Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:00 pm

DICER wrote:
DxT wrote:

I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS...THEY COULD HAVE ATLEAST HAD SOME MEXICAN DUDE ROCKIN THE GUN THE WHOLE MOVIE.

foo...wiki that shit, brad pitt is one sixteenth mexican...from oaxaca.

Drunky McThuggerton
Boss

Number of posts : 5175
Registration date : 2008-06-25

http://2012data.webs.com/theilluminati.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Loonee Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:02 am

Loonee

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down