Urban Empire I.E. Street Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FPD puchase 14 Assault rifles for "better safety of our schools"

2 posters

Go down

FPD puchase 14 Assault rifles for "better safety of our schools" Empty FPD puchase 14 Assault rifles for "better safety of our schools"

Post  Forum Gawd Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:42 pm

In an attempt to provide local law enforcement with the "proper tools" to fight crime and avoid possible tragedies like the one which occurred in Newtown, Connecticut last December, the Fontana Unified School District Police Department recently purchased several high caliber rifles -- a decision that has sparked controversy among local education leaders who are opposed to such weapons on campus.

According to FUSD leaders, the district purchased 14 rifles (model Colt 6940) valued at $1,000 each -- weapons designed to provide accuracy over long distances.

The rifles, similar to the ones used by the United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), were purchased last October but were not received until December, said FUSD Superintendent Cali Olsen-Binks.

"(School Police) Chief Billy Green regularly states 'our officers are willing to take a bullet for our kids.' If our police officers are willing to place their lives in the line of danger, it is imperative that we provide them with the necessary resources to protect our children," said Olsen-Binks. "Fontana Unified will continue to place the safety of its students at the forefront of its considerations, creating safe learning environments where students can achieve."

Olsen-Binks added that the decision came after consulting law enforcement experts, including members of the City of Fontana Police Department; world-recognized expert in school violence Lieutenant Colonel David Grossman; and Inland Valley Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT).

Olsen-Binks also said these military-style rifles are to be kept in a safe and only used in extreme emergency cases, including incidents like the one which took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, where 27 people lost their lives, including 20 children.

Green explained that officers had to go through 40 hours of training with the rifles during the winter break.

Green added that it is imperative that law enforcement officials have access to heavy weapons in order to provide security for innocent people.

"We know that criminals wear bullet proof vests. Our guns are not able to penetrate these vests from long distance, so we need shoulder weapons to defend innocent people. This is a decision I made and I have no regrets. Moreover, this is not new; rifles like these were used by the department since the 2000s," said Green. "The community should be calm and know that we are here to protect students and staff and that we will do whatever necessary to achieve our goal."

HOWEVER, School Board Member Leticia Garcia is strongly opposed to the idea, arguing that rifles are not needed at school sites.

"I am appalled that the superintendent would arbitrarily and unilaterally make a policy decision to arm Fontana School Police with high powered rifles. I do not think there is ever a need for this kind of arms on our middle and high schools campuses," said Garcia.

She said the Board of Education needed to be "informed of the intent to turn our schools into militarized zones without approval and without properly vetting the issue with the community."

Garcia added that as a parent and board member, she feels "outraged" and "frustrated" by the "knee jerk" decision made by Olsen-Binks to use public funds to pay for these weapons and ammunition.

School Board Member Barbara Chavez said she feels torn because on one hand she understands the need to protect students and staff, but on the other hand she is against the use of heavy rifles.

"My only consolation is that they will not be carried around or even in the patrol cars. I worry about the safety of our students, but I also worry about the reaction of the community. This could create division in the community and increase the lack of trust in the police," said Chavez.

The school district has never experienced a shooting inside any school site, said Olsen-Binks; however, it is good to be prepared, she added.

THE DECISION to buy the rifles has created controversy on social networks like Facebook.

For Anna Conklin, a former Fontana resident and program manager for the California State University San Bernardino/First 5 Maternal Intervention Project at Glen Helen County jail, more weapons do not fully address the issues of crime prevention and intervention.

"There is something very wrong when a district's management chooses more police and weapons while not returning the comprehensive counseling program," said Conklin, whose husband Fred Conklin used to work as counselor for the FUSD.

The FUSD decided to close the counseling program in 2011 in an attempt to solve the district's severe budget crisis. Garcia said recently that she hopes the counseling program can be restored if the California budget proposal for school year 2013-14 is approved.

Meanwhile, Shannon Casey, a Wrightwood resident, said on a Facebook post that police should be supported for doing their job.

The FUSD is one of the few districts in Southern California to have its own police department and enjoys a close relationship with the Fontana Police Department.
Forum Gawd
Forum Gawd
Boss

Number of posts : 4842
Registration date : 2009-09-16

Back to top Go down

FPD puchase 14 Assault rifles for "better safety of our schools" Empty Re: FPD puchase 14 Assault rifles for "better safety of our schools"

Post  American Zombie Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Lol. wow.

Another excuse to spend more money and militarize local police, even school police? They already know the cops get to the scene way after the incidents take place..

"I am appalled that the superintendent would arbitrarily and unilaterally make a policy decision to arm Fontana School Police with high powered rifles. I do not think there is ever a need for this kind of arms on our middle and high schools campuses," said Garcia.

She said the Board of Education needed to be "informed of the intent to turn our schools into militarized zones without approval and without properly vetting the issue with the community."

FPD puchase 14 Assault rifles for "better safety of our schools" 23722039
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Number of posts : 6128
Registration date : 2008-01-19

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard62.html

Back to top Go down

FPD puchase 14 Assault rifles for "better safety of our schools" Empty Re: FPD puchase 14 Assault rifles for "better safety of our schools"

Post  Forum Gawd Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:06 am

RC wrote:Lol. wow.

Another excuse to spend more money and militarize local police, even school police? They already know the cops get to the scene way after the incidents take place..

FPD puchase 14 Assault rifles for "better safety of our schools" 23722039

Funny thing is that even they are not to be trusted. These idiots would probably shoot a 12 year old middle schooler for reaching into his pocket in front of their office. Its a shame really, I had to put this in the conspiracy section, because this is a perfect example of the epidemic we have going on in this mediawhore of a country. No not a gun problem. A bunch of gullible sheeple believing dumb crap.
Forum Gawd
Forum Gawd
Boss

Number of posts : 4842
Registration date : 2009-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum