Urban Empire I.E. Street Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing: who are you favs

+11
.02 cents
all eyes on me
OldBlue
Coka
WickedMindz1
ajax
Drop Out
JinkyRctongs
FONTAxIE
ieprince
~OSO~
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Boxing: who are you favs - Page 2 Empty Re: Boxing: who are you favs

Post  Guest Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:28 pm

You know, I think Mosley can give Mayweather a run for his money. I know that he's up there now a little past his prime okay alot...but he's still a great boxer. Those two have styles that compliment each other for a great fight. Both are boxers but Mosley will brawl with you too! Mayweather really ain't brawled with anyone before...he's too damn quick. But lets see what happens if they sign or not.

Back to top Go down

Post  .02 cents Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:00 pm

niners wrote:You know, I think Mosley can give Mayweather a run for his money. I know that he's up there now a little past his prime okay alot...but he's still a great boxer. Those two have styles that compliment each other for a great fight. Both are boxers but Mosley will brawl with you too! Mayweather really ain't brawled with anyone before...he's too damn quick. But lets see what happens if they sign or not.

I like Sugar Shane over mayweather, but mayweather is going to mash mosely. And mayweather slugged it out with cotto I think and dropped him, not his usual style but cotto brought it, mayweather stood up to the challenge and won. Thats the fight where he earned my respect as a great fighter, whether you like him or not, he's got skills, hands and speed.
.02 cents
.02 cents
Made Member

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:27 am

Sugar Shane at lightweight and when he first turned welterweight, I think he would have beaten Mayweather.
But if today Mosley and Mayweather were to fight, I only give Mosley a punchers chance. His skills have deteriorated a lot. I give more respect to Mosley over Mayweather and De La Hoya, both of whom ducked and dodged Vernon Forrest, Winky Wright, and Miguel Cotto. Mosley on the other hand, manned up to fight these boxers to challenge himself and prove he is the best fighter. And even though Shane lost to Forrest and Wright, he immediately fought a re-match trying redeem himself......very admirable.

~OSO~
Made Member

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  FONTAxIE Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:40 am

Raza Soldado wrote:
niners wrote:You know, I think Mosley can give Mayweather a run for his money. I know that he's up there now a little past his prime okay alot...but he's still a great boxer. Those two have styles that compliment each other for a great fight. Both are boxers but Mosley will brawl with you too! Mayweather really ain't brawled with anyone before...he's too damn quick. But lets see what happens if they sign or not.

I like Sugar Shane over mayweather, but mayweather is going to mash mosely. And mayweather slugged it out with cotto I think and dropped him, not his usual style but cotto brought it, mayweather stood up to the challenge and won. Thats the fight where he earned my respect as a great fighter, whether you like him or not, he's got skills, hands and speed.

U MEAN WITH WIT MARQUEZ CUHZ MAYWEATHER HASNT FOUGHT COTTO YET
FONTAxIE
FONTAxIE
Soldier

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  .02 cents Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 am

FONTAxIE wrote:
Raza Soldado wrote:

U MEAN WITH WIT MARQUEZ CUHZ MAYWEATHER HASNT FOUGHT COTTO YET

Whoever he fought before when he retired. I forgot hos name but it was a slug match and mayweather ended up on top. He diodnt run for once and I have to admit, I was impressed. I think Sugar SHane had a better shot in his prime as well, but now he cant really mess with mayweather. And for the record, im not a fan of Mayweather, but to me, he has proven to be the real deal.
.02 cents
.02 cents
Made Member

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  chang Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 pm

new brit to rep for jinky what about david haye, if he beats dr. frankinsteins monster in his next fight hes gonna have a world belt...i was gonna say carl froch but he was lucky against dirrell and then cussed him down in the interview after claimin he was negative, no, styles make fights and you couldnt deal with his, you got a hometown decision be humble if you were a real champ youd offer him a rematch. i hate that shit when english dudes go abroad and fall foul of hometown decisions, not gonna be biased when it happens over here.

chang
Soldier

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post  wesiderider Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:05 pm

ajax wrote:1. JC Chavez
2. Marvelous Marvin Hagler
3. Roberto Duran
4. "Fenito" Lopez
5. Sugar Rey Leonard
6. Mike Tyson
7. Sugar Shane
I haven't kept up with boxing for a minute, but with the exception of some recent boxers, majority of the sport is show and publicity, we might never see the likes of " gladiators " like Manos de peirda, Marvelous Marvin, Tommy the hitman and alot more, those were balls out fighters.

wesiderider
Made Member

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2009-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  chang Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:04 pm

jinky get behind david haye best heavyweight prospect anywhere fast talented and heavy handed my only reservation is hes the size of an old time heavy rather than the giants whove kept the title recently ie the two klitschkos and lennox, although he battered captain caveman (valuev) who he fought with a busted hand and he really was a giant (7 foot tall!) but he aint a boxer of the caliber of lennox/vlad/vitali....
if not what about carl froch or amir khan both good dudes, even junior witter or kevin mitchell (beat breidis prescott who kod amir khan in 1 round)

chang
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Raza Soldado wrote:
~OSO~ wrote:
all eyes on me wrote:My Favs:
"Sugar" Shane Mosley
Floyd Mayweather jr - Very underappreciated. Probaby the best "Pure" boxer of all times
"Marvelous" Marvin Haglar
Diego "Chico" Corales - RIP

You make a good point about Mayweather, a lot of boxing fans consider Mayweather a, "runner"? I have to disagree. If anyone has ever laced up the gloves before I'm sure they would appreciate what Mayweather can do. Only thing I wish Mayweather would have fought a prime Mosley at 135lbs, Margarito and Cotto to truly gauge his skills.

Couldn't say it better myself. One of the few who talks it, but also walks it.

IM ONE OF THE BIGGEST MAYWEATHER HATERS OF ALL TIME JUS BECAUSE OF HOW HE THINKS HES A FUCK GANAGSTER AND HOW HE TALKS DOWN TO MMA BUT THE FOO DOSE HAV HADE SKILLZ IN THE RING, I WONT TAKE THAT FROM HIM, BUT EY I HAVENT HEARD ANY ONE TALK BOUT SALVADOR SANCHEZ ON HERE!!!!!!!!
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Most boxers that I really like are before my time, including Sanchez, but from what I've seen, I like the way he boxed. One of the first Mexican fighters to box instead of just move straight forward and slug it out.

Salvador Sanchez, is the first fighter to not only defeat, but stopped the undefeated great Puerto Rican, Wilfredo Gomez who had KO/TKO'd everyone he fought before Sanchez. Not long ago, I was reading "The Ring" magazine and noticed this young fighter who looked just like Salvador Sanchez, Afro and all. It so happened it was his Salvador's nephew, whom has been boxing pro for a short while already.

Here's another great fighter that I like to watch, Orlando Canizales. Great footwork, balance, nice straight punches, also mixed up his punches well. At 1:07 & 5:10 that's ELA's Paul Gonzalez, Olympic gold medalists. At 7:00 & 7:40 you'll notice how Orlando uses his footwork to get that angle to put himself in position to punch. Great boxer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Qq7yyBoCg

~OSO~
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:22 pm

OtayRLS wrote:
Raza Soldado wrote:
~OSO~ wrote:
all eyes on me wrote:My Favs:
"Sugar" Shane Mosley
Floyd Mayweather jr - Very underappreciated. Probaby the best "Pure" boxer of all times
"Marvelous" Marvin Haglar
Diego "Chico" Corales - RIP

You make a good point about Mayweather, a lot of boxing fans consider Mayweather a, "runner"? I have to disagree. If anyone has ever laced up the gloves before I'm sure they would appreciate what Mayweather can do. Only thing I wish Mayweather would have fought a prime Mosley at 135lbs, Margarito and Cotto to truly gauge his skills.

Couldn't say it better myself. One of the few who talks it, but also walks it.

IM ONE OF THE BIGGEST MAYWEATHER HATERS OF ALL TIME JUS BECAUSE OF HOW HE THINKS HES A FUCK GANAGSTER AND HOW HE TALKS DOWN TO MMA BUT THE FOO DOSE HAV HADE SKILLZ IN THE RING, I WONT TAKE THAT FROM HIM, BUT EY I HAVENT HEARD ANY ONE TALK BOUT SALVADOR SANCHEZ ON HERE!!!!!!!!

About Mayweather's attitude, I agree 100% He talks way too much. He never got in the ring with Forrest, Cotto, Wright, Williams and so many others. And I know he would never get in the ring with an MMA fighter, because he knows he would get beat and humiliated. Just all talk.

~OSO~
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chang Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:47 pm

oso im not the greatest fan of mayweather i find him arrogant and questions need to be asked about him swerving dangerous challengers but what you said about mma do you really think that? cause i must admit when ive watched mma the boxing skills of a great many fighters seem really poor, if mayweather worked on his defence and ground game i think hed have the potential to be awesome in the ufc (not that hell do it mind you the moneys short and you cant pick matches to the same extent), just a thought

chang
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:55 am

chang wrote:oso im not the greatest fan of mayweather i find him arrogant and questions need to be asked about him swerving dangerous challengers but what you said about mma do you really think that? cause i must admit when ive watched mma the boxing skills of a great many fighters seem really poor, if mayweather worked on his defence and ground game i think hed have the potential to be awesome in the ufc (not that hell do it mind you the moneys short and you cant pick matches to the same extent), just a thought

well boxing is jus one lil part of the stand up game in mma bro and alot of mma fighters dont study BOXING, they might study aspects of it like the punching and footwork but alot of other stuff in boxing is useless in mma so a mma fight should not look like a boxing match in the first place!!!!!! as for the mayweather part, it would take FUCKIN YEARS for him to ever be good enough to compete im MMA, let alone the UFC!!!
you make it sound lik if he works on his defense and ground game for a couple years he could make a impact in the UFC, BULLSHIT lol!!! maybe fight in some amateur mma fights but not the UFC!!!
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  chang Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:12 pm

hang on, striking is an integral part of mma and a lot of effective mma fighters have a strong striking game, to have a strong striking game you either study one of two things...muay thai or boxing, anderson silva, fedor emilianenko and george st. pierre all have strong striking games and theyre 1,2,3 in the mma pound 4 pound ratings
dont get me wrong, you got to have a good ground game as well but someone like mayweather is over halfway there, he could hire the absolute best coaches to help him, dudes a natural athlete
but anyway this whole debates a non starter, mayweather dont wanna fight boxers that are gonna spoil his looks, i cant see him fighting ufc.....

chang
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:57 pm

chang wrote:hang on, striking is an integral part of mma and a lot of effective mma fighters have a strong striking game, to have a strong striking game you either study one of two things...muay thai or boxing, anderson silva, fedor emilianenko and george st. pierre all have strong striking games and theyre 1,2,3 in the mma pound 4 pound ratings
dont get me wrong, you got to have a good ground game as well but someone like mayweather is over halfway there, he could hire the absolute best coaches to help him, dudes a natural athlete
but anyway this whole debates a non starter, mayweather dont wanna fight boxers that are gonna spoil his looks, i cant see him fighting ufc.....

ya exactly dog but the fighters u jus named never came from BOXING, thats where im looking at it from u kno, silva(muay thai), fedor( sambo) and GSP started in karate, lyoto machida(karate), brock lesnar( wrestler), bj penn(BJJ) but penn use alot of boxing but jus the main aspects of it alot of the bobbing and weaving and shoulder rolling that floyd is good at is real ineffective in a MMA fight and even penn throw kicks and knees in there!!!! and kids(lik 4 year olds) now a dayz coming up in a good MMA gym thier not jus teaching them muay thai or boxing, their teaching them MMA striking, so they can do everything punching kicks knees elbows everything so they're not one dimensional, floyd would need ALOT of work even in his striking game if he wanted to be the best plus learning a whole new art( ground game) and learning how to put those all together to become a MMA fighter, alot of work but it possible because hes one hell of an athlete!!!!
oh and one question who in mma that came from boxing has been successful??? not talkin shit honest question???
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  chang Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 pm

you got me there, the idiot in me wants to say butterbean lol, but to be a nause and answer a question with a question, what class boxers have taken up mma? i think the moneys bunk compared to pro boxing, i mean look at fedor, he should be getting similar money to a heavyweight champ. i also wonder what would have happened if the klitschko bros had stayed as kickboxers, cause i think that would have taken them down the mma route and i can imagine vitali being a beast in mma...but they saw where the dollars were

chang
Soldier

Back to top Go down

Post  wesiderider Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:24 pm

You dudes see that show on spike....the top 100 ko's....striking, ground game all that comes into play....gladiators.....

wesiderider
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:22 pm

wesiderider wrote:You dudes see that show on spike....the top 100 ko's....striking, ground game all that comes into play....gladiators.....

ive saw the top100 fights, shit was done but not the KO's when did that come on???
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  wesiderider Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:49 pm

[quote="OtayRLS"]
wesiderider wrote:You dudes see that show on spike....the top 100 ko's....striking, ground game all that comes into play....gladiators.....

ive saw the top100 fights, shit was done but not the KO's when did that come on???[/qu
It aired on Monday, probably the same one you seen,but I seen more ko's than anything else.

wesiderider
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:28 am

Chang, Otay, what's up? Otay knows what time it is when it comes to Mayweather Jr. and boxing being a part of the MMA world.
But I'm going to go a little more into detail about it.

Mayweather's shoulder roll defense, boxing stance at angle, and bobbing and weaving, (Floyd has been doing all this since he was a boy) would be his downfall against a mediocre MMA fighter.

As soon as Floyd starts his defense (shoulder roll) in the pocket, his opponent is either going to clinch, and let the knees & elbows go, or the dirty boxing tactics are going to be played, which is holding while punching your opponent. Or taken to the ground, or worst yet, picked up and slammed on his head. In Thai Boxing, some fighters grab their opponents and trip or sweep them to the ground, which saps you of your energy.

Floyd's boxing stance is tailor made for an MMA fighter and Thai Boxer. The MMA fighter has the option of throwing Thai kicks to Floyd's left (lead) leg or shooting in for the take down. Those Thai kicks would take away from Floyd's balance, footwork and power for his punches and kicks.

To be more competitive, Floyd would have to square up his stance a bit, so that he could leg check those Thai kicks and defend against a shoot, by sprawling when his opponent comes in on him. Even those leg checks are painful. It takes a long time to deaden those nerves in the shin bone.

To bob and weave in MMA or Thai Boxing is really bad, that's a no, no. Floyd would get caught with a knee, which would cause him getting KO'd or cut really bad.

Floyd could train in MMA for years, and if he fought in an MMA fight, he might do well in the first or second round, but his boxing skills are already habit and would eventually come out as time goes on. Like I said, hes been boxing since he was a boy, that's all he really knows, it's habit.

~OSO~
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:14 pm

~OSO~ wrote:Chang, Otay, what's up? Otay knows what time it is when it comes to Mayweather Jr. and boxing being a part of the MMA world.
But I'm going to go a little more into detail about it.

Mayweather's shoulder roll defense, boxing stance at angle, and bobbing and weaving, (Floyd has been doing all this since he was a boy) would be his downfall against a mediocre MMA fighter.

As soon as Floyd starts his defense (shoulder roll) in the pocket, his opponent is either going to clinch, and let the knees & elbows go, or the dirty boxing tactics are going to be played, which is holding while punching your opponent. Or taken to the ground, or worst yet, picked up and slammed on his head. In Thai Boxing, some fighters grab their opponents and trip or sweep them to the ground, which saps you of your energy.

Floyd's boxing stance is tailor made for an MMA fighter and Thai Boxer. The MMA fighter has the option of throwing Thai kicks to Floyd's left (lead) leg or shooting in for the take down. Those Thai kicks would take away from Floyd's balance, footwork and power for his punches and kicks.

To be more competitive, Floyd would have to square up his stance a bit, so that he could leg check those Thai kicks and defend against a shoot, by sprawling when his opponent comes in on him. Even those leg checks are painful. It takes a long time to deaden those nerves in the shin bone.

To bob and weave in MMA or Thai Boxing is really bad, that's a no, no. Floyd would get caught with a knee, which would cause him getting KO'd or cut really bad.

Floyd could train in MMA for years, and if he fought in an MMA fight, he might do well in the first or second round, but his boxing skills are already habit and would eventually come out as time goes on. Like I said, hes been boxing since he was a boy, that's all he really knows, it's habit.

sup oso, you hit that shit right on the spot dog, thats basically what i was TRYING to say!!!!!! lol but im not kno MMA expert or nada but i know enough to kno that floyd or any boxxer for that matter going in to A MMA fight as is, wouldnt fare to well!!!!!!!
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:27 pm

chang wrote:you got me there, the idiot in me wants to say butterbean lol, but to be a nause and answer a question with a question, what class boxers have taken up mma? i think the moneys bunk compared to pro boxing, i mean look at fedor, he should be getting similar money to a heavyweight champ. i also wonder what would have happened if the klitschko bros had stayed as kickboxers, cause i think that would have taken them down the mma route and i can imagine vitali being a beast in mma...but they saw where the dollars were

ya thats true the money in boxing over throws the money in mma, no comparison!!!!!
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  wesiderider Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Personally, MMA fights are way more entertaining than most pro bouts.......pro bouts are geared towards the sequel fight.....in my opinion anyways......I'm no sports handicapper or anything.....

wesiderider
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:03 pm

OtayRLS wrote:
chang wrote:you got me there, the idiot in me wants to say butterbean lol, but to be a nause and answer a question with a question, what class boxers have taken up mma? i think the moneys bunk compared to pro boxing, i mean look at fedor, he should be getting similar money to a heavyweight champ. i also wonder what would have happened if the klitschko bros had stayed as kickboxers, cause i think that would have taken them down the mma route and i can imagine vitali being a beast in mma...but they saw where the dollars were

ya thats true the money in boxing over throws the money in mma, no comparison!!!!!

Sad but true. Those MMA fighters put their ass on the line and get paid peanuts, compared to professional boxers. What I really dislike is when the elbows are used and someone gets cut up pretty bad. So bad, that a fight has to be stopped even though the fighter that's bleeding isn't even hurt.

~OSO~
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  big smiley Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:47 pm

whatfights are coming up soon!
big smiley
big smiley
Soldier

Number of posts : 134