Urban Empire I.E. Street Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing: who are you favs

+11
.02 cents
all eyes on me
OldBlue
Coka
WickedMindz1
ajax
Drop Out
JinkyRctongs
FONTAxIE
ieprince
~OSO~
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Boxing: who are you favs - Page 3 Empty Re: Boxing: who are you favs

Post  OtayRLS Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:22 pm

big smiley wrote:whatfights are coming up soon!

ufc 110 is tonite, cain velasquez vs minotauro nogueira!!!!!!!!!!
shits gonna be fuckin bad!!!!
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post  chang Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:50 pm

oso, otay respect for your opinions, you obviously know FAR more about the mma game than i ever will, im comin to it as a boxing fan with a tiny little bit of expertise from when i was at school lol, fair play for explainin the point about mayweather, im gonna try and catch ufc 110 i realise the crazy amount of skill needed to master a striking and a grappling martial art and effectively combine them but i must admit boxing will always be my 1st love even with all the set up fights etc i trying to get back fit enough to start working out in a martial art again, whether thats gonna be boxing dirty boxing or muay thai im not sure yet

chang
Soldier

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm

The UFC of today pales in comparison to its original years, before the brazilians sold it. It used to be everybody fight until the last man is standing. They also had no wieght class. Which to me, tested your will and endurance and heart alot more than the set up does now.

Also, in street fighting MMA doesn't do to well as other arts. You can do all that flipping and rolling and shit on the mat, but, you will get hurt doing that on hard asphalt. Boxing would fare much better in the streets. And i've seen the mma fighters get drunk and fight in redlands bars. Its not the same.

Back to top Go down

Boxing: who are you favs - Page 3 Empty boxer vs gracie

Post  Guest Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:10 pm

Gracie to me was the best MMA ever, just my oppinion. BUt, wtf was the boxer wearing one glove for? How seriously dumb

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:42 pm

niners wrote:The UFC of today pales in comparison to its original years, before the brazilians sold it. It used to be everybody fight until the last man is standing. They also had no wieght class. Which to me, tested your will and endurance and heart alot more than the set up does now.

Also, in street fighting MMA doesn't do to well as other arts. You can do all that flipping and rolling and shit on the mat, but, you will get hurt doing that on hard asphalt. Boxing would fare much better in the streets. And i've seen the mma fighters get drunk and fight in redlands bars. Its not the same.

well besides from time limit and weight class, the ufc is way better now dog, the competition is so much HIGHER then its was 5 years ago let alone 17 years ago and for the mma not doing good in a street fight HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA and boxing would do better HAHAHAAHAHA damn that was funny!!!!!!
for one bro if a true mma fighter got in a street fight, there wouldnt be much flipping and rolling and shit lik that, especially if it was against joe nobody in the street, so if the mma fight dosent drop the guy with a head kick or body kick or criple the guy with a leg kick, he'll close the distance, take him done get the dominate position and either brake his arm or choke him unconscious no matter how hard the ground is!!! lol
but im not saying the boxer wouldnt do good either but as long as its standing he can get knocked out to but i kno it would be unlikely but ey dog if ur a fan of the GRACIES you should kno that, thats like their whole philosophy( not to get hit)!!!!!!!!!!!!
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:43 pm

to each his own fam I can understand your point of view. I don't think it contradicts my statement anyway. Yeh im a fan of the gracies. I don't know if the competition is any HIGHER than it was originally. Thats like saying Tyson was better than Ali or Lakers of today are better than Abdul-Jabar's Lakers of the 80's. My main point is the wieght class. It was better seeing the 180lb guy take out the 250lb fighter, in my oppinion. Its still exciting today in its own way, probably because its more commercialized now.

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:56 am

chang wrote: i must admit boxing will always be my 1st love even with all the set up fights etc i trying to get back fit enough to start working out in a martial art again, whether thats gonna be boxing dirty boxing or muay thai im not sure yet

Boxing is no #1 in my book. Truly a science. I've boxed on and off for years and I'm trying to rehabilitate my back so I could start training again. If your going to start training just for yourself, (self defense) I recommend Muay Thai.

I trained in Muay Thai (really kickboxing, because no elbows are allowed) for about 1 and 1/2 years. For the street, you can't go wrong with MT, it's an effective art.

~OSO~
Made Member

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:17 am

Like I mentioned in my earlier post about Mayweather Jr.

@1:30 in that video you'll notice Gracie's opponent is in that slightly angled boxing stance. Then Royce shoots in on him with ease and takes him to the ground.

Then @2:44 Shamrock, who has grappling experience from fighting in Japan, you'll see his stance is more squared up, he's better prepared for Gracie when he shoots in for the take down. Gracie, shoots, then Shamrock sprawls and gets dominant position.

While on the ground, one of the Gracie's old techniques, which was later banned from the UFC, was to hit their opponents kidney's with their heel of their foot.

~OSO~
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ~OSO~ Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:33 am

OtayRLS wrote:
niners wrote:The UFC of today pales in comparison to its original years, before the brazilians sold it. It used to be everybody fight until the last man is standing. They also had no wieght class. Which to me, tested your will and endurance and heart alot more than the set up does now.

well besides from time limit and weight class, the ufc is way better now dog, the competition is so much HIGHER then its was 5 years ago let alone 17 years ago and for the mma not doing good in a street fight HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA and boxing would do better HAHAHAAHAHA damn that was funny!!!!!!
for one bro if a true mma fighter got in a street fight, there wouldnt be much flipping and rolling and shit lik that, especially if it was against joe nobody in the street, so if the mma fight dosent drop the guy with a head kick or body kick or criple the guy with a leg kick, he'll close the distance, take him done get the dominate position and either brake his arm or choke him unconscious no matter how hard the ground is!!! lol
but im not saying the boxer wouldnt do good either but as long as its standing he can get knocked out to but i kno it would be unlikely but ey dog if ur a fan of the GRACIES you should kno that, thats like their whole philosophy( not to get hit)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again Otay, you know what time it is. Any trained fighter in a different art, could have an off night. And I agree, the UFC today is much better than when it first came out.

~OSO~
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:48 am

niners wrote:to each his own fam I can understand your point of view. I don't think it contradicts my statement anyway. Yeh im a fan of the gracies. I don't know if the competition is any HIGHER than it was originally. Thats like saying Tyson was better than Ali or Lakers of today are better than Abdul-Jabar's Lakers of the 80's. My main point is the wieght class. It was better seeing the 180lb guy take out the 250lb fighter, in my oppinion. Its still exciting today in its own way, probably because its more commercialized now.

bro i said besides the time limit and weight class dog, i think would be kool to see a 180lb and 250lb go at it to, i dont think it would be much of a fight now a dayz but id watch it and the level of competition and skill's is a !00 times HIGHER then it was back then and ill tell u why BOXING and BASKETBALL are still very similar as they where back then minus the lack of rounds now and some other stuff but the ufc back then and the ufc now are totally different, it was style vs style back then and if you watch the full UFC 1 they even say it (which style will rain supreme) so being that it was style vs style everybody back then was one-dimensional and that includes royce gracie bro, they weren't good at everything, NOW a dayz the TRUE UFC or MMA fighters are good at everything dog, they might be better at one part (striking game or ground game) but they can still do both and those are the ones that are dominating (penn, gsp, silva, lyoto, lesnar, musassi, fedor, ....ect) and being that theres MMA fighter like that RAISES the COMPETITION because everyone should want to be the best, so the boxing, basketball comment dont hold up in my opinion!!!!!!!!
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:51 am

~OSO~ wrote:
chang wrote: i must admit boxing will always be my 1st love even with all the set up fights etc i trying to get back fit enough to start working out in a martial art again, whether thats gonna be boxing dirty boxing or muay thai im not sure yet

Boxing is no #1 in my book. Truly a science. I've boxed on and off for years and I'm trying to rehabilitate my back so I could start training again. If your going to start training just for yourself, (self defense) I recommend Muay Thai.

I trained in Muay Thai (really kickboxing, because no elbows are allowed) for about 1 and 1/2 years. For the street, you can't go wrong with MT, it's an effective art.

hell ya dog Muay Thai is some brutal ass shit homie!!!!!!
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:58 am

~OSO~ wrote:Like I mentioned in my earlier post about Mayweather Jr.

@1:30 in that video you'll notice Gracie's opponent is in that slightly angled boxing stance. Then Royce shoots in on him with ease and takes him to the ground.

Then @2:44 Shamrock, who has grappling experience from fighting in Japan, you'll see his stance is more squared up, he's better prepared for Gracie when he shoots in for the take down. Gracie, shoots, then Shamrock sprawls and gets dominant position.

While on the ground, one of the Gracie's old techniques, which was later banned from the UFC, was to hit their opponents kidney's with their heel of their foot.

yup, ey oso the kidney kicks are still good in the ufc now a dayz bj penn used it to soften kenny floreian to seek in a rear naked choke in the light weight title fight in ufc 101!!!! bad ass fight right there!!!!
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 pm

OtayRLS wrote:
niners wrote:to each his own fam I can understand your point of view. I don't think it contradicts my statement anyway. Yeh im a fan of the gracies. I don't know if the competition is any HIGHER than it was originally. Thats like saying Tyson was better than Ali or Lakers of today are better than Abdul-Jabar's Lakers of the 80's. My main point is the wieght class. It was better seeing the 180lb guy take out the 250lb fighter, in my oppinion. Its still exciting today in its own way, probably because its more commercialized now.

bro i said besides the time limit and weight class dog, i think would be kool to see a 180lb and 250lb go at it to, i dont think it would be much of a fight now a dayz but id watch it and the level of competition and skill's is a !00 times HIGHER then it was back then and ill tell u why BOXING and BASKETBALL are still very similar as they where back then minus the lack of rounds now and some other stuff but the ufc back then and the ufc now are totally different, it was style vs style back then and if you watch the full UFC 1 they even say it (which style will rain supreme) so being that it was style vs style everybody back then was one-dimensional and that includes royce gracie bro, they weren't good at everything, NOW a dayz the TRUE UFC or MMA fighters are good at everything dog, they might be better at one part (striking game or ground game) but they can still do both and those are the ones that are dominating (penn, gsp, silva, lyoto, lesnar, musassi, fedor, ....ect) and being that theres MMA fighter like that RAISES the COMPETITION because everyone should want to be the best, so the boxing, basketball comment dont hold up in my opinion!!!!!!!!

i'm not here to argue with you. it would make no matter. Good post.

Back to top Go down

Post  OtayRLS Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:14 pm

niners wrote:
OtayRLS wrote:

i'm not here to argue with you. it would make no matter. Good post.

i wasn't trying argue, i was just pointing out the facts bro!!!!!!
OtayRLS
OtayRLS
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  chang Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:37 pm

~OSO~ wrote:

thanks oso, i think its gonna be boxing for me as well, but i must admit, when i see the thai boxing gyms in thailand it makes me wish id picked it up years ago cause its awesome, they turn little skinny dudes into killers, the elbows and knees are wicked close in, i dont think long range kicks are much good for real life...

chang
Soldier

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3