Urban Empire I.E. Street Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

machines vs free weights

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

machines vs free weights Empty machines vs free weights

Post  southsiderifa Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:12 pm

what chu think is better for getting ripped 
any advice
southsiderifa
southsiderifa
Peeping Tom

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

machines vs free weights Empty Re: machines vs free weights

Post  American Zombie Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:30 am

Getting ripped is more of a matter of body fat percentage, but as far as strength and muscle mass gains, free weights are always superior IMO. Especially when it comes to heavy compound movements like bench press, overhead press, etc. because it works stabilizer muscles. But all machines aren't worthless, I'm sure they can be a benefit as a small part of some workout programs.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Number of posts : 6128
Registration date : 2008-01-19

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard62.html

Back to top Go down

machines vs free weights Empty ..

Post  southsiderifa Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:15 pm

i got you
any advice in building the tricep.?
and should you workout everyday.?
southsiderifa
southsiderifa
Peeping Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:09 am

It all depends on your goals, but I'd say workout 3 to 4 times per week with a good workout routine or plan.

I like to hit each muscle group twice per week. Some like to hit each group 3 times per week, others like once per week.

IMO the best tricep builders are regular dips and close grip bench press. Pick one and then work on getting stronger on it.

Then as a supplemental exercise, you can add in skull crushers or dumbell extensions.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  southsiderifa Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:46 pm

my goals are to get big asap honestly before i go back to school..

but yea dude i was working out everyday but you think it would 
affect my growth .?
cause i heard should exercises and squats affect it any truth to that.?

appreciate the advice btw...
southsiderifa
southsiderifa
Peeping Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Building muscle naturally is a slow process so you can't expect to be huge in a couple of months but the key is to stay consistent.  

How old are you ? 

No I dont think lifting will effect your growth, I don't think any real evidence supports that idea. If your really young and still growing, my advise would just be to work out intensely and eat A LOT. I don't know your stats but I'd advise eating a lot of protein and adequate fats and carbs. You can't grow at your full potential if you don't give your body the nutrients you need to grow. Unless your already fat and overweight, then I wouldn't go crazy eating. But a lot of young guys are skinny with a fast metabolism and don't eat enough to get bigger.

And just as importantly , make sure you get enough quality sleep. Your bones and musles grow when you sleep, so sleep as much as possible. No need to work out everyday, let your body have rest days to recover and eat. I'd say 3 to 4 times per week is good for working out.

Btw, plz change your sig. It hurts me.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  southsiderifa Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:55 pm

im 16 

ohh i get you eat alot but like what kind of foods would be 
good for muscle mass i know there alot but like which are the best.?
i asked this because i always hear that when you workout shoulders
it affects your growth...

and how long should a workout be.??i usually go for about
30m to 40
southsiderifa
southsiderifa
Peeping Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:05 am

40 to 45 mins is good. I recommend about 5 to 6 exercises. Start with like 2 or 3. Compound movements and finish up with isolation exercises. 

16 huh, well damn your young, you're at the perfect age to start. Your hormones are going to be a peak levels soon and it's the best time to workout. 

As far as what kind of foods, just stick with nutrient dense foods, eat enough protein, like one gram per pound of body weight. So for example , if you weigh 150 lbs the. Try eating somewhere between  140 and 160 grams of protein per day. Eat quality fats and carbs. Chicken, beef, fish, rice, potatoes, fruits and any kind of veggies.

If you don't have acess to a lot of good quality foods than just drink milk everyday. It has some vitamin a , D , quality protein and fat. All needed for hormone support and needed for growth. I drank tons of milk when I first started working out and I grew muscle fairly well, but had to stop because of the lactose and it caused some acne. But if you tolerate it well then it might be good for you.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  southsiderifa Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:49 pm

i know this is late but fuck it i need to know something 
so basically my back been killing me when i left heavy 
what you think it might be.??
southsiderifa
southsiderifa
Peeping Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:55 pm

southsiderifa wrote:i know this is late but fuck it i need to know something 
so basically my back been killing me when i left heavy 
what you think it might be.??

What part of your back? Low Back, mid back, upper back?

Usually it's a combination of bad posture and weak back muscles. Generally, you want to strengthen your back muscles and work on movement patterns, specifically when you lift things. For example, if your low back hurts, you might need to use your legs more, and learn when to use the low back muscles. Training with deadlifts is good to fix this, but it must be done correct or you will fuck up the back even worse.

Also,  mid and low trap muscles need to be strengthened in order to stand up right and carry objects because they help stabilize the shoulder blades.

I know a lot of this shit because Ive had a lot of back problems.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  southsiderifa Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:57 pm

its my whole back you know especially when i carry alot of weight
but you think if i lift more it will get worse .?? 
also my chest is lagging iv"e been bench pressing but i don"t really see results
or feel when im doing them
southsiderifa
southsiderifa
Peeping Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:08 pm

southsiderifa wrote:its my whole back you know especially when i carry alot of weight
but you think if i lift more it will get worse .?? 
also my chest is lagging iv"e been bench pressing but i don"t really see results
or feel when im doing them

I'd recommend barbell rows, to hit the mid and upper back. and make sure to stand upright when carrying heavy things, don't round your back. Also hit the obliques, this also supports the back. Your body also wants to be in balance, so for every chest workout , you have to hit your back muscles with rows. Your bench press won't continue to get stronger unless you have a strong back and core.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  OldBlue Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:22 am

Also make sure to drink a lot of H20 you need h20! Good advice gloom and doom. Also if you want faster results look into supplements. Supplements can help you optimize your growth. But your still young so you shouldn't risk fucking up your kidneys, liver, heart with that hardcore shit yet. Wait till your 18 lol. 

Don't get stuck doing the same thing over, and over, and over, you will plateau as soon as that happens you dont/wont grow. Make sure you get plenty of rest about 7-9 hours of sleep. Do you have access to a gym? Or do you work out at home? All in all it takes time unless you juice. 

If you have the time check videos on youtube. That is what i do when i want to change up my routine. You will find a lot of good info there also and you can actually see the movements that these guys do. 

Good luck bruh and remember "Curls for the girls"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OldBlue
OldBlue
Made Member

Number of posts : 762
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:19 pm

Yeah water is under rated, I always drink a lot of water throughout the day but especially in the hours leading up to a workout....dehydration will make you FAR weaker and fatigued.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Started weights again. Forgot how much of a bitch DOMS is.....I'm sitting here typing with my arms looking like a T-Rex because I can't even extend them...smh.
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Number of posts : 7350

https://iestreetlife.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:35 pm

Do a hardcore leg workout with squats and lunges. You'll be limping for weeks lol.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  OldBlue Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:06 am

TumbleWeedBity wrote:Started weights again. Forgot how much of a bitch DOMS is.....I'm sitting here typing with my arms looking like a T-Rex because I can't even extend them...smh.

LMAO!!!!!! Thats how I feel right now!!!!!!!! I had to switch it up before I would rest 30 sec in between sets now im doing 10-15 seconds and that shit is killer actually feels as if Im lifting heavier. got that off of yourtube too LOL!!

So far I have taken exercise from buff dudes and Mike Chang. For a while I was doing 500s 5 sets of 20 reps each exercise from Kali Muscle, but now Im 7 weeks into doing 4-5 excercise and 8-12 reps. Growing pretty good too. Also cut the cardio out for now so I dont lose any gains will do this for about another 4 weeks then go back to the 500s to get shredded and cardio with a fat burner and or a stack. 

And tons of h20 about a gallon or more a day. Feel lighter too now that my diet has changed dramatically. Only time I ever drink soda is to mix my pre-work out pinta style. FOCUS!!!! stay disciplined till saturday comes around LOL cheat day!!!!!!!!!!!
OldBlue
OldBlue
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OldBlue Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:07 am

Gloom N Doom wrote:Do a hardcore leg workout with squats and lunges. You'll be limping for weeks lol.
Fuck or walk quickly up a flight of stairs 7 stories LOL!!!!!!!!!!! That shit had me walking like a baby.
OldBlue
OldBlue
Made Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:29 pm

I recently started looking into calisthenics. Built me a simple pull up bar the other day using instructions from this video. Real simple, but it seems to be effective enough. 

I've also been doing lots of different push up exercises and using dumb bells. It's been years since I've had a dedicated work-out routine, but I think I'm slowly easing back into one. Right now I'm focusing on upper-body and abs only, no lower body.

What's a good way to keep my body weight steady (don't want to go bigger or smaller) while still building muscle? Does the "as long as you don't go over your macro's limit"    claim hold any weight? Can you really eat as you please so long as you don't over that number? I've been limiting my carb intake to under 450 grams per day. I was using of few of those online calculators but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

Last edited by TumbleWeedBity on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 pm

I also upped my water consumption to around 2 liters a day, where before I was only drinking around 2 or 3 cups a water per day, if even that. I'm not sure if it's my body getting acclimated to work out routines, but I've noticed that I'm not getting as experiencing the extreme soreness anymore ever since I upped my H20 intake.
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:13 pm

About building muscle without fat, yeah you can build muscle without over doing it. Figure out more or less how much calories you need per day to maintain your weight, then add on additional amount of calories, maybe 200 to 300 calories of surplus to gain strength and build muscle. Those online calculators are a good way to pinpoint where you should start, but they aren't exact. It will take some self experimentation to really find what is the right amount of calories for you. Eat enough protein, about one gram per pound of body weight. Eat enough dietary fat to support hormone production, and eat enough carbs to fuel your body with energy. Carbs intake varies from person to person, so see what works for you.

As far as eating whatever you want, yeah you don't have to eat whole nutritious foods 100% of the time, but you want to make sure most of your food is nutrient dense(maybe about 80 to 85 %) so that you get enough micro nutrients in to keep the body healthy and strong.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  southsiderifa Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:01 pm

what about bulking without gaining fat.? like your suppose to eat alot 
but wont your stomach get fat i wanted to have a six pack but
be ripped 

also i king stopped working out cause by back got fucked up but
started again and i notice its harder to get muscle why do you think
this is.??
southsiderifa
southsiderifa
Peeping Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:53 pm

Well that's what i was trying to explain. To build muscle you need a caloric surplus, which means eating enough to put on weight. In order to to do this without gaining a lot of fat, you can't over do it by eating way too much but this varies from person to person, some people are skinny as a stick and struggle to eat enough to put on weight while others have to be very careful not to go overboard or risk getting fat. So know your body type.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  TumbleWeed Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Someone recommend me a good abdominal workout. I've been trying everything in the last couple of weeks and nothing seems to be working. I'm not even feeling sore in the abs the next day after some pretty intense sessions. And it's not my body adjusting to the exercises either, because I really just started the ab workouts a couple of days ago. I don't know what's going on.....
TumbleWeed
TumbleWeed
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  American Zombie Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Getting sore isn't necessary for progress. If your workout is intense and your building strength than you're doing it right. My abs almost never get sore.
American Zombie
American Zombie
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next